The Average Man

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

TOI

I have a new motto today: TOI ... Trust Obama's Instincts. Right after the Repuglican convention way back in September, I wrote an entry defending Obama against all the left leaning critics saying that Obama wasn't angry enough to beat Palin ... er, I mean McCain. And, at that time, I told Obama to stick to his plan and to just keep doing his thing.

Well, it's a few months later, and it seems that Obama has a new liberal assault to fend off, and that's the arrows being thrown at his recent economic plan. Now, for the record, I'm not an economist; nor do I pretend to understand the chaotic world that is Wall Street finance. And it's also fair to say that I'm generally not a big fan of Geithner's overall philosophy regarding the solutions to this banking nightmare. Having said that, however, I really do think we tear down Obama at our own peril.

I kind of thought I was the only one having these feelings until I read this recent entry on Huffington Post. I hope Mr. Heilbrunn doesn't mind, but I'm going to break from tradition and print this post in its entirety:

The chorus of criticism of President Obama's economic plan has been almost deafening, and it isn't coming from Republicans but Democrats. Sure, the Republicans are engaging in scare tactics about tens of trillions in deficits, but it's the liberal naysayers such as New York Times columnist Paul Krugman who've been the real critics.

They should lay off. Krugman's lamentations about Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner's bank rescue plan simply don't add up. Is the plan perfect? No. But it does provide a road map to recovery, one that can be amended in coming weeks and months. Krugman's complaints, by contrast, reek of theology. The notion that a Wall Street cabal has captured Obama and that taxpayers will be on the hook for the bad bank loans rests on the assumption that the economy won't recover. But if the Geithner plan works -- as I suspect it will -- then these objections will seem picayune and pointless.

Perhaps the most perplexing aspect of the liberal attack on the Obama administration is that it betrays a kind of pathological political death-wish among Democrats. When Ronald Reagan was trying to extricate America from recession in his first term, Republicans weren't denouncing him. Democrats, by contrast, seem to have no compunction about flaying their president a few months into his first term as courting failure. No doubt they depict it as concern for his success. But it remains astonishing that a variety of pundits and lawmakers continue to underestimate Obama, who is, by a wide margin, the most shrewd and thoughtful president America has had in decades. Will Obama rescue the economy? Yes, he can. But not if the Democrats try to stop him first.

Here's the thing ... This economic crisis is like nothing we've faced in the history of this country. I may not be happy with Geithner, but he's the man Obama picked, so I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt. If he turns out to be a disaster, then I'll be the first to say I was wrong. But for the moment, let's stand together behind this guy, because I'm just not all that interested in setting the stage for President Jindal.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 11:13 AM, Blogger George said...

Since we didn't convince you at dinner last night, TL, I guess I have to try again. First, read the Taibbi article from Rolling Stone. It's not too long and it makes sense even for an economics-challenged soul like me. It's not just about "saving the economy"--it's about who we are saving it for. Even the Obama White House has used the line a crisis is an opportunity. So let's take this one and make a better economy. And that can't be helping the oligarchs stay in power.

I'd love to say let's watch and wait, but I'm not sure we can afford the time. And Heilbrunn's "why aren't Dems more like Republicans" lament I find insulting; I could never be a Republican because I believe I should think for myself and not be a ditto head. If that's what it means to be a successful Democrat, I don't want to be one.

As for Heilbrunn himself, he's a plagiarizing hack, from what I read at the Nation, so I'm not sure he's the best source for you to lean on in this case.

 
At 3:19 PM, Blogger Patrick said...

TL,

Since i can't out shout you in the blogosphere, I'll try and make sense.

As George and i see it, and the Rolling Stone article George references explains in detail, the problem with Wall Street is not that it is in crisis ut that it is structured in fundamentally oligarchical ways. That means, they get rich off of us--the rich have been getting richer for decades while the middle class stagnates at best--and we can't stop them because they own the government. Geithner is one of them, and his plan, if it works at all, does nothing but continue the same practices of oligarchy.

I understand your political calculations and the need for Obama to succeed. But the only political constituency that matters is not the wing nut ditto head crowd, but the bipartisan oligarchs of Wall Street who own Obama and the rest of Washington.

This bailout is not just is not just a tactical issue, one that can be modified in the future with some tinkering. It is fundamental to what I want to see government do--protect us and our country from the super rich. It ain't happening.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker