The Average Man

Tuesday, January 06, 2009

NORM COLEMAN "OFFICIALLY" A HYPOCRITE

Anyone who knows me will tell you that I am a complete and unapologetic fan of Al Franken. I mean, Lies (And the Lying Liars Who Tell Them): A Fair and Balanced Look at the Right has to be one of the best (and funniest) political books ever written IMHO.

Anyway, as you might expect, I've been obsessively monitoring the roller coaster ride that is the Minnesota recount, and I was finally able to breath a little sigh of relief when The Minnesota State Canvassing Board "officially" declared Franken the winner. Before I get too excited, however, I have to deal with (loser) Norm Coleman's inevitable challenge of the election results. Here is a recent quote from Mr. Coleman:

I really believe that the people of Minnesota want to get this right, no matter what side of the aisle you are on ... Until these issues are settled, any attempt to seat a Senator who is not properly certified violates Senate precedent, and usurps the will of the people of Minnesota.

Now, I'm obviously not happy about this challenge, but that's not what really ticks me off. No, what I'm mostly upset about is that no one in the media is remembering this little story that came out right after the initial election results in November had Coleman ahead. Here's a quote from that Star Tribune article:

Coleman urged Franken to waive his right to a recount, saying that the prospect of changing the result was remote and that a recount would be costly to taxpayers (about $86,000).

"I just think the need for the healing process is so important..." Coleman said.

So, Mr. Coleman, I'd like you to think long and hard about the following:

1) The prospect of changing the election results is remote.

2) All your court battles are going to be costly the taxpayers.

3) Now that Franken has won, the healing process is just really so important.

I look forward to your concession speech!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 1:52 PM, Blogger Trekking Left said...

Here's someone else who noticed this ... http://www.huffingtonpost.com/brian-normoyle/coleman-should-concede-to_b_155041.html

 
At 2:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Coleman is a piece of work. I listened to an interview with Franken some time ago and I felt that he was solid.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker