The Average Man

Friday, March 20, 2009

MORE FRANKEN WATCH

Interesting interview with Coleman's lawyer yesterday. Here's part of it ...

Joe Friedberg, attorney for former Sen. Norm Coleman's recount effort, seemed to suggest in a MN radio interview yesterday that Democrat Al Franken will wind out on top when the three-judge panel finishes reviewing the counting process. Friedberg says that he's "done" but that the case could drag on for some time.

Q. Joe, are you done?
A. Yes, I'm done.


Q. Let me ask you in a different way. Is Norm done?
A. Well, I think that we have been trying this case with the appeal record in mind, and that's where we're going, and it's going to be a very quick appeal, and then I will know whether or not it worked.


Q. Well, when you say quick appeal, are you confident that you are going to lose the case in front of the three-judge panel? By losing the case, I mean Norm ends up with less votes.
A. I think that's probably correct that Franken will still be ahead and probably by a little bit more. But our whole argument was that it was a constitutional argument, and it's an argument suitable for the Minnesota Supreme Court, not for the trial court. So we will see whether we were right or not.

...

Q. We could still be awhile before this thing gets decided?
A. Yeah, I think that's clearly true.


I have to admit to being torn on this one. I mean, I can't complain about Al being the "winner" by most accounts. But, how long can Coleman drag this thing out?

And, by the way, if Coleman takes this thing to The Supreme Court or whatever, does he realistically have any future in elected politics?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker