The Average Man

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

GUPTA MAKES ME ILL

I'm a little behind on this story, but I wanted to make a quick comment about Obama's pick of CNN star Sanjay Gupta for Surgeon General. Generally speaking, I don't have anything major against the man. But -- immediately upon hearing his name -- I was reminded of the the following exchange between Dr. Gupta and Michael Moore (discussing his film, Sicko) ...



As I blogged about at the time, the big problem I have with Mr. Gupta is that he (and many others) seemed to care much more about attacking Michael Moore than getting fired up about our crappy health care system. Here's what I said at the time ...

The best example of this phenomenon is the recent debate between Dr. Sanjay Gupta and Michael Moore on CNN. Dr. Gupta, who generally agreed with the message of the film, could have spent his energy talking about the corruption in hospital administrations and insurance companies. But he chose, rather, to discuss some nonsense about how some of Moore's numbers were from the BBC and how other reports had slightly different numbers. Nobody fudges numbers better than the Bush administration, but I never see CNN challenging them so aggressively?

It seems that there are a number of people in the Senate unhappy about this pick; I for one won't be overly upset if they don't confirm him.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At 6:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hopey's whole cabinet makes me sick. He is just more of the same. Nothing changes.

 
At 8:57 PM, Blogger Akira said...

Yeah, I'm not a Gupta fan either.
Just curious: Did you get the Inauguration Invitation too? I didn't think much of it until I mentioned it to my coworkers...

@Edgar,
One thing I like about you is the fact that you make me feel positive and upbeat in comparison ;).

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger Trekking Left said...

Akira - No, I did not receive an Inauguration Invitation ... wish I did.

Are you going?

 
At 12:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

akira must be rich if she got an invite.

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger TheAverageMan said...

I got one too, but I think it's just for donating to the campaign. There's no actual info for where to go, or how to get there or anything. I considered it more of a thank-you than an actual invitation. But I could be wrong.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker