The Average Man

Thursday, December 20, 2007

IN MEMORIAM

Saturday will be the one year anniversary of the day we lost our dog, Spooky (a.k.a. Puppy) to cancer. I don't know whether or not heaven exists, but if it does, I've always pictured the conversation between God and Puppy going something like this ...

INT. KITCHEN - DAY

GOD is dressed in jeans, a t-shirt, and tennis shoes. He -- or She -- is putting away groceries, washing dishes, and performing miscellaneous kitchen-type tasks. PUPPY is watching intently.

PUPPY: Where am I?
GOD: You are in heaven.

PUPPY: Why am I here?
GOD: You died.

PUPPY: I was sick.
GOD: You were very sick.

PUPPY: Will I go back?
GOD: No, I'm sorry.

PUPPY: What will I do?
GOD: You will stay here with me, and I will take care of you.

PUPPY: What about my people?
GOD: They will think about you always.

PUPPY: I will miss them.
GOD: They will miss you ... more than you know.

PUPPY: They loved me.
GOD: Very much.

PUPPY: Will you run with me?
GOD: Every day.

PUPPY: Will I get Greenies?
GOD: As many as you want.

PUPPY: Okay, I guess I'll stay then.
GOD: (smiling) I'm glad.

We miss you, buddy.

Labels:

10 Comments:

At 7:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Puppy heaven:

Endless fields of green grass and butterflies. Lots of interesting sights and sounds. Everything is new again.

 
At 8:21 AM, Blogger M.C. Confrontation said...

bummer, man. you should get a new dog.

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger TheAverageMan said...

Who said he hasn't?

 
At 12:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

TL,
April of '06 and May of '07 we lost 2 of our 3 family dogs.

Sincere thanks for bringing back memories of the 'Pretty Girl' and the 'Best Boy'.

Dogs are the coolest. :)

 
At 1:38 PM, Blogger Trekking Left said...

Edgar - Puppy heaven sounds like a great place. I hope I get to go there some day :)

MCConf - Yeah, our lives were just too quiet and sad without a dog around. Here's a picture of our new one ==> http://www.edhat.com/site/tidbit.cfm?id=848&pic=pics-011&event=WakeUpWendy

eight santa barbara - Dogs are definitely the coolest. I'm sorry to hear about the loss of yours.

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger George said...

Thanks for making us tear-up before Christmas.

May sweet Spooky rest in peace.

 
At 7:04 AM, Blogger M.C. Confrontation said...

cute! what kind of dog is (s)he?

it's been about six months since i was forced by spousal mandate to give up our eskimo, the Dude. i still miss him dearly and think about him all the time. i think he would've been great around the baby, who is now eight months old, but alas he's moved on, hopefully to a guy that loved him as much as i did.

http://santabarbaraminorityreport.blogspot.com/2007/08/gone.html

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger Trekking Left said...

We were told that he's a pug/schipperke mix.

I'm sorry that you had to give up your dog. Maybe you'll be able to get another some day. Life seems richer with a dog in it.

 
At 9:52 AM, Blogger Amy said...

Sweet post TL. Puppy was lucky to live is such a loving home.

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger Amy said...

Sweet post. Puppy was lucky to live in such a loving home.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker