The Average Man

Monday, December 03, 2007

THE AVERAGE MAN VS. COX CABLE

For the last two decades, I've been at war with Cox Cable. It doesn't matter that this battle is mostly in my head and that Cox -- not surprisingly -- doesn't know we're fighting it. My frustration is still quite real, though, and I'm fed up. To give you an idea from where my anger arises, I need to take you back ...

My first exposure to this company's sleazy tactics came in the late eighties when I rented my first apartment in Isla Vista. Being relatively new to the whole living on my own thing, I did as you might expect and enabled all the appropriate utilities: gas, electricity, telephone, etc. A quick phone call to all these places, and my new pad started jumping to life. For me, though, no existence is quite whole without television, so Cox was high on my to-do list. "Okay," they said, "we'll send someone out." What? Can't you just flip it on? I mean, I already connected the cable from the wall to the TV. "Are you crazy," they implied, "we're not magicians." So, I paid $40 for some dude to (I'm not kidding) clip the ends off of all the cables and attach new ones. "You gonna have more than one TV," he asks? Um, yes (I should have lied). He then proceeds to take the already existing splitter out of the wall and attaches a cable for my second set. "We'll have to charge you for that." After he's done performing all of those useless tasks, he of course, calls headquarters to have them flip it on.

The second story I would like to tell you actually happened to a friend of mine in Las Vegas ... A few months ago, he decides to upgrade his whole entertainment system to the newest, fancy schmancy HD everything. So, the cable guy (also Cox) comes out to his home and sets the whole thing up. After the work is done, my friend looks at the bill and notices that he has been charged a cable box setup fee, a DVR setup fee, and an HD setup fee. You might see where I'm going with this ... THEY ARE ALL THE SAME DEVICE! You plug the cable into the box and then plug the box into the television. Voila! Geez, I'm surprised they didn't charge a setup fee for each channel.

I could go on and on, but the point is that the cable companies are out of control. And I'm certainly not the only person who thinks this. If you've been paying attention, the (very pro-business) F.C.C. of all things has been trying to reign them in. You see, there was this little agreement made many moons ago that once the cable companies reached 70% of US homes, the F.C.C. could start regulating them. Turns out that they've recently hit that magic number, but the cable companies hired their lobbying dogs, did some of that fuzzy math, and got a group of Republicans to kill the thing.

So, what does this mean for you and me? Firstly, Cox can continue to raise my rates at a much quicker pace than inflation without giving me any additional services (exactly as they've been doing over the last twenty years). I currently pay $110 a month for cable with no HD, no Internets access, and no phone. Sound fair to you? Secondly, they will not be forced to go where the world is going and look at "a la carte" services so that I can pick and choose the stations I want. Thirdly, they can continue to create these strange "tier" packages to maximize their profits at the expense of the consumer. Cox, for example, charges me $10 a month for HBO and justifies it by forcing me to receive 10 HBO channels. Never mind that I may have no desire to see Rock IV eight times in one month (seven maybe). There's a word for this type of behavior ... MONOPOLY.

I'd like to leave you with this somewhat humorous story from Studio Briefing:

Religious broadcasters have renewed their opposition to efforts by FCC Chairman Kevin Martin to require cable TV providers to offer programming on an "a la carte" basis. In a statement, the Faith and Family Broadcasting Coalition (FFBC), which lobbies on behalf of religious broadcasters, praised commission members who balked at efforts by Martin to strengthen the ability of the FCC to regulate cable TV under a controversial rule that would kick in when cable TV is available to 70 percent of U.S. households and when 70 percent of those households have subscribed to cable systems. Martin's changes, the FFBC said, "would have had a devastating effect on religious broadcasters." It quoted Colby May, director of the American Center for Law and Justice's Washington office as saying, "A per-channel charge would dramatically limit, if not kill, the availability of religious-based programming on cable."

Is it just me, or is their argument that "a la carte" programming is bad because -- if someone were forced to pay for religious-based programming -- they wouldn't?

Labels: , ,

20 Comments:

At 11:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Direct TV is no better. They quoted me one rate. After they had put holes through the roof to install the dish, they gave me the invoice with a different rate (higher of course)and then charged for additional 2 tv's. Their remote sucks and programming to eliminate the surplus of useless channels over 3 tv's was a nightmare.

After the contract lapsed the coordination to return the equipment was another nightmare. They delivered 3 empty boxes for return of the equipment which UPS set by the garbage cans and, you guessed it, the garbage man took them away (ok that part wasn't Direct TV's fault). So I call for new boxes and the Direct TV rep keeps me on the phone for 15 minutes while he copies the entire original order 3 times. When I voice my outrage he says if I hang up, he's required to take another call and the boxes will not be sent so my only option is just to stay on the line until he is done.

Agreed - its a monopoly. Companies such as these would not survive if they had to depend on customer service.

Thanks for letting me vent!

 
At 8:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You think they're sleazy now? They just outlawed analog. Goodbye rabbit ears, hello monopoly.

 
At 9:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I switched from Cox to Dish for TV and Verizon for DSL. I now pay a lot less, and the only thing I miss is Ch. 17.

 
At 9:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"You think they're sleazy now? They just outlawed analog. Goodbye rabbit ears, hello monopoly."

Huh? What does that have to do with monopoly? Goodbye rabbit ears, hello digital converter, which you're entitled to 2 of under government subsidy, for those folks who can get over-the-air reception (which isn't many around here).

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger Trekking Left said...

Vent away! That's why I'm here :)

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger Trekking Left said...

Isn't this one of those cases where the "free markets" should fix everything? Problem is that cable, unlike phone and other services, has no competition.

 
At 10:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree this is an outrageous monopoly. I gave up on Cox Cable back when they foisted three levels of "Basic Service" on us and automatically put everyone into the highest, most costly level of "Basic." To me, basic means basic. I rebelled against this, and they told me that the lowest level, cheapest level was reserved for "people on fixed income." I replied that, unless I am printing my own money, I'm on a fixed income. I've since been using rabbit ears and can get ABC, NBC and PBS. Sufficient, I would say .... until analog dies.

 
At 10:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to work for this company, and let me tell you they suck...um Cox. They do not value your business nor do they care if you get quality service. They only want to get you off the phone ASAP without having to send a tech to fix anything. A typical truck roll costs them $100 and they will do everything in their power to avoid this. They will blame you for everything..which they teach their employees on a regualr basis.

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger M.C. Confrontation said...

How is it a monopoly when you can choose one of about four or five satellite services, or to go the rabbit ears way, or to not have cable at all? Pretty soon you'll be able to easily watch tv online as well. Hey I'm not defending the scumsuckers at Cox that milk me for almost $100 a month so I can watch ESPN in High Def, but I don't look at their existence in the marketplace as a monopoly. And can you explain exactly how it's the Republicans fault again?

 
At 12:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They're Cox ... no name could be more fitting in my opinion!

 
At 1:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was forced to switch from DirecTV to Cox when we moved to SB because our building doesn't allow dishes. Furthermore, our phone lines are not DSL compatible (Verizon wants us to pay $200 to "update" them) so we're forced to pay $130/month for cable and internet from Cox. Whereas, before the bill was $60/month from DirecTV and $25/month from At&t for better services. But I guess, just like all the web connection issues and digital channel tiling we get, that's our fault somehow.

Cox is the worst ever. There are no alternatives. I especailly love their commercials where Dr. Joe Blow testifies to the wonders of competition and how Cox revolutionized medicine... (insert explicative)

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger Trekking Left said...

These are great comments! I'm so happy to hear I'm not the only one who thinks Cox is evil.

MCConfrontation - Regarding your monopoly question, I quote from the NYT editorial ==> "They [the F.C.C] should restrict preferential deals between programmers and the big cable systems. This would allow competing players — like satellite TV and phone companies — to put together attractive packages that would give consumers more choice." Plus, rabbit ears only give you a handful of channels (in SB you only get ABC).

And it's the Republican's fault because they blocked the FCC's attempt to regulate the industry.

 
At 6:46 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I hope it makes everone feel better no only do we have to pay for the cable service bundle,but most of the programming is owned by cable and satellite companies. Cox owns Travel Channel and is part owner of Indemand with Time Warner and Comcast who owns and on and on.
There are only about eight channels that are independent. Kevin Martin and the FCC have no chance but good luck to them.

 
At 11:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I moved to a new home a month ago. First, the cable guy sent the wrong signal to my box and wiped out the dvr function of the cable box. But he left before getting it turned on, so late that night I found it was not working... welll, to keep this short, I've had 5 cable boxes in just this first month here, plus 2 service calls on my internet service - 7 visits in all from Cox's technicians in just one month PLUS 3 phone calls about my phone service, which was wiped out when they put in a new cable modem. They keep sending out people who don't know what they are doing, and when I called to complain, I was offered a "one time $25 credit." Well, $25 more than makes up for the $150 a month I pay to NOT get good service, huh?

 
At 7:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi-def? That's a joke. My cable reception is so crappy I can watch two channels at once. LOL!

 
At 8:08 AM, Blogger M.C. Confrontation said...

I see. So what it boils down to is more regulation. More regulation = more government = more liberal. Can you see how this works out in the endgame though? I'd rather pay my $100 a month to get my ESPN in HD and my South Park with all the cuss words than have the FCC decide down the road that The Ultimate Fighter is too violent for cable or that Fox News is biased and needs a Fairness Doctrine application. This the same FCC that sent Howard Stern into satellite radio land, right? Screw them. The less interference from federal entities the better, and that works pretty much across the board for me (except for that Patriot Act... you know I love that Patriot Act).

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger Trekking Left said...

MCConfrontation - You'll be surprised to hear that I agree with you about the FCC dictating morality. But here's the thing ... Capitalism is good. But capitalism unfettered turns to greed, and greed always trumps the needs and rights of the consumer. Yes, I believe in some government regulation and that the "free markets" won't fix everything.

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger TheAverageMan said...

Quite the opposite, McC -- isn't competition better insurance against censorship? Right now, if Cox decides that swear words on South Park are bad, what are your options?

Fact is, markets require regulation. Heck, our capitalist system wouldn't even exist without it. Sometimes corrections are needed to even the playing field and allow competition. And that's a long, long way from dictating content.

Even more importantly, we can't continue to allow businesses to write legislation, and/or pretend to "regulate themselves" which is constantly what the current administration keeps doing. It's certainly helps their profits, but it's not in our best interests at all.

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger M.C. Confrontation said...

I guess competition is good insurance against censorship, but I can't say I know it's better insurance. I think if Cox decided swear words on south park were bad they wouldnt censor it, theyd turn it into a damned pay per view!

I agree with your point TAM, that markets require regulation. I just wish that there was enough regulation out there that i wouldnt have to pay upwards of $4 a gallon for gas when we're supposed to be stealing the damned stuff from the Iraqis (a JOKE).

And I agree with your second point as well. Corps cannot/should not legislate.

Neither should the Supreme Court.

 
At 4:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cancel it! I did and it's the best decision I've ever made. Between the NetFlix 'watch it now' function with the Roku player, Hulu.com, and YouTube, I get to actually CHOOSE what to watch instead of being spoonfed by the corporate cox that depend on our allegience. Annnnnnd, many of these websites, including NetFlix, are upgrading to HD content, so my 42" 1080i won't go to waste. I'll never pay for cable again and if you all join me, maybe we can force them to 'a la carte' their services without FCC intervention. Imagine that, a demand driven market for TV! Remember that phrase from, what, the 50s: "the customer is always right"? With Cox, customer service is a thing of the past. Just say no!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker