The Average Man

Sunday, November 25, 2007

HOW IOWA CONTROLS THE UNIVERSE

Pssst, I have a secret ... your vote in the in the next Presidential Primary Election doesn't count. That's right, your vote is worth about as much as a US dollar. You can read all the newspapers you want, watch dozens of debates, and analyze national polls until your blue in the face. But passionate as you might be, Iowa is going to decide who is your best candidate for president. Because you see, there is a dirty little secret -- that everyone knows -- and that's the fact that whoever comes out ahead in Iowa, New Hampshire, and (to a lesser extent) South Carolina wins the whole shebang. It doesn't matter that two minutes before those primaries you are in love with someone else. Nope, you are going to see what Iowa does and then you are going to jump off the same cliff.

Now, I'm no psychologist, but it sure seems odd to me that California with its gazillion people would care what some tiny midwest state thinks. But care we do. If you don't believe me, just ask Howard Dean. He was my favorite in 2004 and was ahead in all national polls going into the primaries. But Iowans and New Hampshir...ites(?) decided that Kerry was more "electable," so Dean was done. Super Tuesday was Super Pointless.

This phenomenon troubles me on many levels, but the thing that disturbs me more than anything is the fact that Iowans and New Hampshir...shiers(?) are downright arrogant about it. A few months ago, I was watching C-SPAN shoot interviews with some ordinary people in an Iowa restaurant after a candidate had just eaten there. You know the type of establishment I'm referring to: the one where Fox News likes to point out how the Pantsuit didn't leave a tip (she did). Anyway, I don't remember the exact quotes, but the interviewer asked these people what they thought of so-and-so candidate being ahead in the polls or whatever, and the responses were almost universally the same ... Joe Iowan sitting on the bar stool would say something like, "I don't care what the rest of the country thinks. The candidates need to come here to Iowa, talk directly to me, and we will decide who is the best." Great. So, let me ask you a question California: do you think Joe Iowan isn't going into the primary with a bias against the front-runner? Is that any better than having a bias towards them?

After a rockin evening at Sings Like Hell, I had a debate about this topic with Big Table. It went something like this ...

AVERAGE MAN: I think there should be a national primary.
BIG TABLE: I disagree.
AVERAGE MAN: No, I'm right.
BIG TABLE: You're so smart. How could I have ever doubted you?


At least, that's how the conversation went in my head. Seriously though, Big Table points out that a national primary would simply trade Iowans deciding your vote for money deciding your vote. In other words, if we don't have the checks and balances of the Iowa Caucuses, then the nation will just pick whoever has the most ads on TV. Okay, I'll buy that for a dollar. However, I think there is a solution for both of us ... Jonathan Soros recently wrote a New York Times Editorial titled Vote Early, Count Often in which he argues that we should have national primaries but give all people the option to mail in their ballots early. And we should count the ballots as they arrive instead of waiting until election day. That way, eager and informed voters can still give a certain candidate "momentum" going into the election and counter the big money. The key, though, is that it's national and that we all have the opportunity to fill the role previously held by a handful of Iowans and New Hampsh...anites(?).

Whatever the solution, though, we must have some flavor of a national primary. Iowa has a population of around 3 million; California has a population of approximately 34 million. Yet, we let them determine our fate in these oh so important elections. That would sort of be like Isla Vista choosing Santa Barbara's mayor every time. It's simply not fair to us, and it's not fair to a candidate who runs a rock solid national campaign for 12 months and then has one bad day in Iowa. In the case of Howard Dean, apparently Joe Iowan didn't like all those "kids" coming into their state and telling them for whom to vote. Note that Dean had a strong base of young supporters who canvassed in Iowa. How dare they?

But don't think Iowa and New Hampshire will go down without a fight. After a bunch of other states moved up their primaries this year, you would have thought we kicked all the IA and NH dogs in the face. They immediately followed suit and moved up their primaries as well ... because of course, it's their god given right to decide who the rest of the country should like.

Labels: , ,

16 Comments:

At 8:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi t.l.,

I know you think you are cynical, but I am even more so. The fix is in. Hillary is the only dem who can lose, therefore, ergo, she will be the candidate. The media maggots have already decreed. The thug lickens will take the white house in '08, again. The two parties are the same party of the maggots. You heard it here first. IMO it is a national disgrace. I would vote for any dem except Hillary, they're all great. Truly, our vote doesn't count. Whoever comes next will be worse than Bush, abandon all hope. I held out hope for someone good for so long, too bad for us, alas, all is lost.

 
At 8:03 AM, Blogger M.C. Confrontation said...

Interesting post, T_L... a minor point:

Being from New Hampshire, I believe the term you want to use is Granite Staters. I think the closest, best one is New Hampshirites? But that doesn't roll of the tongue very well. I'd go with Granite Staters, or even the Live Free or Die Set.

as for your quote: do you think Joe Iowan isn't going into the primary with a bias against the front-runner?

i ask, is there such a thing as bias in an election? either you've got a favorite candidate or not. bias may not be the right word there. maybe "favored" would be better.

at any rate, perhaps now we can discuss here in your comments section the merits of a national primary. i'd like to see some numbers on primary winners in Iowa and NH and how they've fared in garnering the nomination. are iowans and granite staters good at picking the eventual nominees? i think the rest of the nation is too smart to just fall in line once their state's primary or caucus comes around, but i may be wrong.

thoughts?

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger George said...

A few thoughts....

For what's is worth, since 1952 only 8 men won NH and did not win the nomination of his party (McCain, Buchanan, Tsongas, Hart, Muskie, Lodge, Kefauver twice). Harder to find a longer history on Iowa, but going back to 1976, they blew it 6 times, including choosing a Gephardt v Dole 1988 contest. Iowa seems more susceptible to regional pull, but that might be because the New England region likes sending up sacrificial Dems to slaughter, so NH can pick a local.

The money issue is a huge issue. There's something to be said about tv ads not being able to be the only way to win.

My biggest complaint with the Iowa/NH lead in is both are way too white. Not exactly even small sized versions of the current U.S.

And as a one-time Iowan, I do want to stand up for the caucus idea. Forces you to be there, devote an evening to politics, but why shouldn't you--this president thing is important! But then you get to try to sway people to your side. It's democracy in action.

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger Trekking Left said...

Hi Edgar - In a recent poll, Obama is actually pulling ahead of Hillary in Iowa. And I'm pretty sure Edwards is running second in most Iowa polls. I'm not a big fan of Hillary, so in this case, maybe the Iowa Caucuses are the great equalizer? Guiliani scares me (Bush with a brain), but he's well behind in IA and NH as well.

I guess I'm kind of going against my own argument here, but it still seems to me like someone shouldn't be able to spend all their time and money in a couple of states and then take the entire election.

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger Trekking Left said...

McConfrontation - Good questions ... I would love to think that the rest of the country is smart enough to follow their hearts and not vote for the winner in IA and NH, but sadly, that does seem to (generally) be the case. There is actually a weird psychology at play here where people don't like the idea of "throwing away their vote" or "voting for a loser." So, if there is a clear winner out of those early primaries, the nation will go along. Again, I use Howard Dean as a perfect example. John Kerry was actually doing quite badly in many states going into the primaries, but after IA and NH voted for him, it was all over. He only lost in Dean's home state of Vermont. My argument is that, in a national primary, Kerry's victory was far from a sure thing.

To your point, I have to admit that I didn't do any huge scientific analysis before this post to see patterns throughout history. But I do know for a fact that you can't come out of IA, NH, and SC without a win and still become the nominee ... even if you were way ahead in the polls going into those primaries. And I think this has gotten worse over time now that the national conventions are pointless and whatnot.

If you don't like the front-runners, then I suppose this is a great thing. But it just doesn't sit right with me.

 
At 12:39 PM, Blogger Patrick said...

Though I still think TL's smarts are as convincing now as on a hell-rockin' night, I'd like to amplify my original objection to a national primary. I want to limit the influence of the already rich and powerful in elections. While the TL-backed proposal for a national campaign with early results eliminates the need for candidates to talk to the average man and woman in Iowa or New Hampshire or anywhere else, how does it limit the influence of money? Indeed, wouldn't money--and thus rich and powerful donors--become even more important to develop and implement a strategy to get out the early vote?

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger Trekking Left said...

Patrick - Hmmm, maybe, but there is kind of an assumption here that money plays no role today. I think Romney, for example, has been running TV adds in Iowa exclusively for weeks now. And he is ahead there.

I think George makes a good point about IA and NH being too white. I would add that they are probably too-a-lot-of-things-I-don't-agree-with. And that's really the issue ... Iowa's politics may not be my politics or the rest of the nation's politics. So, why do they get so much power?

 
At 4:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

t.l.,

I find it ironic that the left would follow the lead of IA, but I guess they don't call the American masses "sheeple" for nothing, eh? Myself, I plan to do my "Perot" protest vote in the primary, if Ron Paul gets on the ballot. If he doesn't win, and Hillary gets the dem nod, I will stay home for the general election. Otherwise I would be proud to vote for any other dem. Either way, my vote won't matter, people here vote neo-con every time.

 
At 5:57 PM, Blogger Patrick said...

TL, no, the issue is money in politics. I want to reduce that role (which assumes that, indeed, money has a role now). Your proposal increases the role of money (i.e. rich donors, lobbyists for corporations, wealthy wall street types, etc.) at the expense of the average man and woman (in Iowa and NH). Show me a proposal that increases the role of the average voter (in California and everywhere else) and I can be convinced.

 
At 7:21 AM, Blogger M.C. Confrontation said...

When I moved from New Hampshire to New Jersey in 1990, it was for two main reasons: not enough cultural diversity in my home state (less than 1% african american?) and i needed to be closer to yankee stadium. in jersey i got what i wanted.

so while im on that topic, can anyone answer this: where are all the black people in santa barbara? how come i know all three of them?

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger Trekking Left said...

Patrick - Let me clarify my statement ... I meant to say that your argument kind of assumes that money plays no role today in Iowa. And I was using Romney as an example of that not being case. The solution to all of this, of course, is public financing of elections. Until we have that, however, we are where we are. And I think the "vote early, count often" idea -- although maybe not perfect -- is better.

I totally have sympathy for your big money issue, but I don't feel that it completely trumps everything. Both Howard Dean and Barack Obama raised lots of money (Obama more than Clinton recently), but they did it with small donations over the internets. In other words, they raised money because of their message; not the other way around. Yes, money is a problem. But I'm not sure it's enough of a problem to negate my issue.

Again, why should a small group of people in Iowa speak for the nation? I'm not sure I even trust the average man's judgement there. I mean, didn't that state go for Bush ... twice?

 
At 12:47 PM, Blogger Patrick said...

My final 1.5 cents on this post:

1. We are engaged in a classic lefty disagreement, not on issues but on priorities. We agree that rich people and companies shouldn't have so much political influence and we agree that Iowa and NH shouldn't have so much electoral influence. Of the two pipe dreams to improve American democracy, I am strongly in favor of campaign finance reform to empower the the average voter. A national primary without prior campaign finance reform will eliminate the already small influence of the only average voters left in the process, even if they are white people in Iowa, and I think that is a mistake of priorities.

1.25 You need to eliminate from your argument traces of reasoning from outcomes. Just because the average Iowan chooses differently than you (or that monied people and businesses choose differently than I) is not a reason to change the process. The issue is that Iowans (or more importantly, people with money) choose before you and I can choose.

1.5 Howard Dean and now Barak Obama can raise money through the internet only because they first raised enough money from rich people and businesses (the money primary) to set up an organization.

 
At 4:26 PM, Blogger Trekking Left said...

To be continued at happy hour :)

 
At 7:50 PM, Blogger Kristin Anderson said...

Oh man am I bummed that I won't be at HH! THis is a great debate. I tend to vote for who I think is the best candidate. I pulled a 'vote your conscience Ralph Nader' one year, but I was already statistically aware that indeed my vote didn't count. I spose I'll just have to keep reading Trekking Left's blog for an update!

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger SantaBarbarian said...

Thought you might enjoy this...being a Star Wars fan...

http://www.inhabitat.com/2007/11/28/starwars-inspired-facility-at-sea/

 
At 11:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker