The Average Man

Tuesday, February 05, 2008

A DIFFERENT KIND OF WAR

To help relieve mind of things other than Super Tuesday and election results, here's a review of Charlie Wilson's War.

QUICK PLOT SUMMARY
Tom Hanks plays Charlie Wilson, a Democratic Texas Congressman who led the U.S. effort to secretly arm the Afghans against The Soviet Union. Julia Roberts plays wealthy activist Joanne Herring, the main motivator for Wilson to join this cause. Phillip Seymour Hoffman is troubled CIA agent Gust Avrakotos who guides Wilson through the complex political and international hurdles involved in arming a country to fight the Soviets. The film is based on a true story and a book with the same name.

MY REVIEW
I have to be honest and say that I went into this film with a little bit of a bias. It's been my long held opinion that Aaron Sorkin is the greatest screenwriter on the planet. From A Few Good Men to The West Wing, Mr. Sorkin has proven time and again that his ability to effortlessly intertwine dialog with intelligence, drama, and wit is unparalleled. Add to that the fact that the movie stars Tom Hanks and is directed by Mike Nichols, and you have to wonder if it's possible for Charlie Wilson's War to be anything less than stellar. Of course, a perfect meld of talent does not always a great film make (The Da Vinci Code jumps to mind).

So, it is with much enthusiasm -- and maybe a little relief -- that I can unequivocally state that Charlie Wilson's War doesn't disappoint. Not only is it a great film, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that between Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts, the best thing in the film is .... Phillip Seymour Hoffman. If you can find a better example of someone coming out of left field and completely taking over a movie, please tell me. I experienced so much joy watching him play CIA agent Gust Avrakotos that I thought maybe the movie should stop in order for someone to walk into the scene and hand him an Oscar right there. It's just too bad for him that Javier Bardem chose this year to be uber-creepy in No Country for Old Men.

Since it is political season, I feel compelled to mention that the topic of the film isn't exactly a warm fuzzy. I mean, it wouldn't be a stretch to state that Charlie Wilson indirectly (or maybe directly) led to the horrible tragedy of 9/11. For those who might feel that way, I would just ask that you watch the film and judge for yourself. Charlie Wilson as portrayed by Hanks, is certainly not without flaws (the naked hot tub scene that launches the film is a good example), but neither is he the devil. It's a complicated issue, and he's a complicated man. But the decision to see this movie is not at all a complicated matter.

MY RATING
4.5 Stars (Out of 5)

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 10:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a good time, but it's not in my pantheon of outstanding films ... I doubt that I'll feel the need to drop everything to watch it when it eventually winds up on AMC like I do for "The Godfather," or "Animal House," for that matter.

It was an enjoyable bit of froth. Phillip Seymour Hoffman, however, is superb.

I knew how it was going to end and I left the theater with a bad taste in my mouth. At least they didn't totally gloss over it.

 
At 2:38 AM, Blogger jqb said...

Phillip Seymour Hoffman is the best thing in just about every film he's ever been in.

 
At 8:21 AM, Blogger M.C. Confrontation said...

I have not seen the film yet, but I did enjoy the book after hearing Imus rave about it when it came out years ago. Have you read the book? If so, how does the film compare?

 
At 11:07 AM, Blogger Trekking Left said...

No, I didn't read the book. I'm actually glad I didn't, though, because that helped me go into the film with no expectations.

 
At 1:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The truth about stuff the U.S. (which I, BTW, no longer hold myself culpable for in any way) does is often quite ugly. Then, the CIA and preznit whine bitterly when the Iranians or Russians pay back in like kind. I am glad the truth of U.S. dastardliness is hitting the big screen in films like the one you reviewed and Syrianna. I know that Syrianna is fiction, and some stuff was off the mark, but still, I found myself yelling at the screen at times like this: "I knew it!". It was just too realistic. The powers that be in this country have a lot to answer for.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker