The Average Man

Sunday, March 11, 2007

THE CASE FOR LIBBY'S PARDON

This might sound strange coming from me, but I think the Left is overly stressed about whether or not Scooter Libby is going to be pardoned. Instead, we should just be overjoyed that some of the awfulness of this administration was exposed during the trial. And that someone (anyone!) has been held accountable. Because, you know, this isn't really about Scooter; it's about bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, and lies. Those who know me know that nothing makes me angrier about this administration than the fact that they duped the entire nation into believing that the Iraq war was revenge for 9/11. I mean, 70 percent of the public thought Iraq was responsible. 70 percent! It's the most horrible political event I've ever seen in my life, and I will never forgive bush for that. What's worse, it didn't seem that anyone would have to pay for it ... until now.

Will Libby be pardoned? Yes, he will. There are a number of reasons for this, but Lawrence O'Donnell -- who is pretty smart about this stuff -- has the best one. But again, that's irrelevant. What's important to me is that bush goes down in history as the worst president who ever lived. And I actually think that pardoning Libby will help that become a reality. You see, if Libby is not pardoned, then the Right can spin this as a DemocratIC witch hunt, or bush can just claim ignorance about what was going on around him. The focus, in other words, stays on Libby.

But if he is pardoned, then I believe this event will be considered "par for the course" in a generally corrupt administration. It will be yet another case where bad things were done but no one had to pay any consequences. It's one of many cases where loyaly trumps all and bush protects his rich friends. And most of all, it will show the hypocrisy of the repuglican party towards Clinton. Remember, he was impeached for perjury. You think anyone on the Right would have supported his pardon?

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 9:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can deal with a pardon. Libby is Cheney's scapegoat.

I'm more concerned about a permanent stain of history being left on Bush y Cheney ... I want my nephews' grandsons' textbooks to reflect that those two were our country's darkest hour.

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger Trekking Left said...

Amen, brother.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker