The Average Man

Saturday, March 29, 2008

OBAMA VS. CLINTON

As I mentioned in a previous post, I am hooking my cart to Obama's horse. This didn't seem to be much of a "controversial" decision when I made it, but now that the campaign is getting ugly, I find myself defending him (as well as myself) on a more frequent basis. Specifically, I have a good friend at work who supports Clinton, and we've spent countless lunch hours debating the merits of this race.

My friend does not necessarily dislike Obama, but he thinks the man is just too green for the job of President. "What has he done?" is a frequent quote. He also agrees with the Clinton camp that Obama hasn't been properly vetted by the media. The Reverend Wright thing, he argues, is a perfect example of the type of thing that would take him down in the general election. In addition, Clinton has shown she's a fighter who will do anything to win. That, he states, is what is needed in November.

Like my friend, I do not dislike Clinton (although, her attempt to get the Michigan votes to count really bugs me). But my belief is that he -- along with many of her supporters -- is hugely underestimating what the right will throw at her in the general. Obama, I admit, is a little bit of an unknown. But it seems to me that he has the charisma and message of hope that was missing from Gore and Kerry ... and now Clinton. Her argument about winning the "big states" is weak in that it assumes he can't. The important thing isn't whether or not he can win California and New York. No, the big question mark is whether or not she can win any state other than those won by Gore and Kerry. I'm just not sure. As for Reverend Wright: well, if that's all it takes to ruin a candidacy, then you might as will give the Republicans the keys to the White House now.

Having said all this, we both now have a separate worry ... can either of them beat McCain? I would have said "absolutely" a few months ago. But now, I have to admit that I'm starting to feel as if all the fighting between them could be their undoing. If this battle goes all the way to the convention in August without a clear winner, it seems that McCain is handed the election. The common thought is that there just isn't enough time for the Democratic nominee to "catch up" to McCain from a PR standpoint. Whenever Bill Maher has a Democrat on his show, he says, "Everyone is saying you can't lose. So, tell me, how are you going to lose?" It seems we have our answer.

The governor of Tennessee has proposed a solution that I think everyone should promote. At the end of all the voting in June, the superdelegates should be forced to make a decision. They can (and should) vote their hearts, but they cannot wait until August. No matter how you slice it, they will have all the information they need by that point to make up their minds. So far, the DNC has been unable to do anything to make this situation better. And I argue that -- if the Dems can't at least do this -- maybe they are too stupid to win.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 10:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those Clinton and Obama supporters who say they'll abandon the party if their candidate isn't the nominee will be how the Democrats blow it.

Four things Clinton and Obama had better get together on immediately are:

1. Dial back the rhetoric whenever someone makes an endorsement. I understand how the Clinton camp could perceive Bill Richardson's Obama endorsement as a stab in the back. Still, the commentary from Clinton honchos was ugly and disgusting. That kind of thing plays right into the Republicans' hands.

2. Start passing the word that "sore loser" defections are an inappropriate response. Better not to vote than to vote for more of the same, because ...

3. This election is a referendum on George W. Bush. If you're going to get ugly, do it against the common enemy. Obama and Clinton should be able to unite on that message, even as they remain as competitors.

4. Don't forget that there are likely to be several Supreme Court nominations for the next president and that the next president won't be able to get much done without bigger congressional majorities.

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger George said...

You know, I heard Clinton is pro-Cox Cable and Obama is against.

(Just trying to help kick-start this comment thread, TL.)

 
At 3:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clinton likes McCain and Bush more so than Obama. All she cares about is her own ambition. I am registered Reagan repug who is truly independent. I will not vote for HRC under any circumstances. It will be either Obama or Nader for me.

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger TheAverageMan said...

Buzz, what you're saying makes me realize -- if the democratic superdelegates are really committed to getting the white house, they will select Obama.

Because all of Hillary's supporters, should she lose, will most likely vote for him. But it won't work the other way around.

 
At 12:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello averageman,

I forgot to mention, I voted for Bill Clinton twice, in spite of the constant venom from my (republican) friends. Enough is enough, time to take out the trash.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker