The Average Man

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

PROUD TO BE A GAUCHO, BUT ...

I want to preface this post by stating that I am a proud alumni of UC Santa Barbara, and I think it's totally awesome that the UCSB Men's Soccer Team won the championship this year. As you may or may not know, UCSB has only had one other NCAA championship in the school's history, so this type of thing is a great accomplishment indeed. I might also add that I played soccer in high school, so that made this victory even more special for me.

Having said that, I have to admit to being a little perturbed when I read this story about all the college champions being recognized by Bush at the White House. I know it's an incredible honor to be invited by the President of the United States for your accomplishments, whatever they may be. But is it really an honor to be recognized by this president?

I've given this a lot of thought over the last few years, and I'm quite confident that I would refuse a call from Bush. It may seem silly to think about such things, but I do (I can't help it). Now, you may say that it would be impossible to actually turn down an invitation from the president and that it would be easier said than done. I would agree with that sentiment, but at the same time, I don't know how I could look myself in the mirror if I walked onto some stage with a fake smile on my face and shook Bush's hand.

I think Bush is single-handedly destroying the world. Or at least, destroying my country. If that's not reason enough to boycott a White House invitation, I don't know what is.

Labels: , , ,

11 Comments:

At 6:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have no desire to be anywhere near that maggot.

 
At 8:48 AM, Blogger Chryss said...

Years ago, a bunch of poets faced this same question. I felt Marilyn Nelson had the best idea: she planned to wear a scarf covered in peace symbols. Unfortunately, the event was cancelled before she could do it. Personally, I'd like the chance to voice my opinion in person.

What if the whole team managed a synchronized fart?

 
At 8:50 AM, Blogger TheAverageMan said...

Two words... DUCT TAPE!

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger M.C. Confrontation said...

I wouldn't worry about it Lefty. Those invitations are usually extended to people who have merit, or who have accomplished something of merit. Or if you have money and there's a Clinton in office then you don't need merit, just the money. I am actually with Whackamole on this one though. If you had the chance to be in the company of someone you despised so much, anyone with a set of balls would take the opportunity to voice their discontent in person. Apparently Lefty, you are not in that club. Good day now!

 
At 1:06 PM, Blogger TheAverageMan said...

Yes, McC, I can certainly imagine you barging in and blurting out what you thought without any prior consideration to whether it was the right situation for it, or even the most effective means of communicating your concern.

Is a photo-op in the garden a good time to tell the President exactly what you think of him? As he's passing by shaking hands, would he even hear, or process, anything you could manage to say during that brief second? He didn't invite the soccer team to get their opinions on world affairs, he's using them as props while he makes a speech. So how much would he even care what one of them thinks? Perhaps simply refusing to show would send a stronger message. It would also require balls -- the balls to stand up to your coach, the other members of your team, and everyone else who expects you to show up, stand there and smile.

I don't know the answer, and neither does TL -- he was contemplating what he might do were he placed in a certain situation. You should try it sometime.

 
At 3:26 PM, Blogger M.C. Confrontation said...

I actually do alot of contemplation. I contemplate how liberals could have their own country losing a war to islamic extremists at the top of their wish lists. I contemplate how libs could hope above all else that they could put a communist pantsuit into office. I contemplate the contrast of liberals love of organizations like PETA at the same time they eat alot of chicken. I contemplate why an asteroid is called an asteroid and a hemmorhoid is called a hemmorhoid. So you can see, I'm a VERY contemplative person.

 
At 9:45 PM, Blogger TheAverageMan said...

No, what I meant was to contemplate your *own* thoughts and actions. Maybe then you wouldn't say ridiculous things like "communist pantsuit". But I could be wrong.

 
At 7:43 AM, Blogger M.C. Confrontation said...

I like "communist pantsuit"! Come on give me a little credit. That's one I've been using for years, and I didn't hear it on Hannity, Savage, or Rush. I thought that was a good one. She speaks like a communist, and she can't wear a dress because of her awful tree trunks. What's not accurate? I put some CONTEMPLATION into that one and I still can't get any points from you guys. Tough crowd!

 
At 8:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

maybe MCconfrontation is contemplating their hemorrhoids. and is always confrontational because they feel as hot as an asteroid entering earths atmosphere.

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger George said...

We do know how Bush deals with people who try to show even the slightest bit of protest or indignation for there was that moment with Sen. Webb after the election.

Protest at publicity functions just doesn't work, as the whole apparatus of the event is to give Bush cache with winners and his fellow 'Mericans.

You make more of a protest not going and saying why.You can control that.

Heck, there were those college athletes who wore thongs (the shoe ones) to a White House event and got belittled for not respecting the moment. Then again, Bush is sort of the figurehead Queen of the U.S. while Cheney actually runs things from his post in the non-executive branch.

 
At 1:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who were those girls that showed up in flip flops to the WH? There was a big flap about it in the media. Anyway, at least they were shod. That's better than the chimp deserves.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker